As an actor at the top of his game, he is used to living the high life.
But for Leonardo DiCaprio, playing one of Wall Street’s biggest crooks was something of an eye opener.
‘It’s a modern day Caligula,’ said the 38-year-old actor about the world portrayed in his latest film The Wolf Of Wall Street. ‘It’s the height of debauchery.’
The film – directed by Martin Scorsese – is based on former stockbroker Jordan Belfort’s tell-all memoir of the same name, and follows his time at Stratton Oakmont, a brokerage firm he founded in 1987.
Belfort conned small investors out of around $100 million until he was indicted in 1998 of money laundering and securities fraud, going on to serve 22 months in prison.
‘The book personified America’s addiction to obtaining wealth at all costs, and that hasn’t changed,’ DiCaprio told New York Magazine.
DiCaprio, who has worked on four previous projects with Scorsese, bought the rights to the memoir in 2007, and he and Scorsese secured a deal with Warner Bros. to make the film.
But the studio pulled out when the recession hit in 2008, and independent production company Red Granit Picture stepped in to provide financing for the film.
The movie covers some almost unbelievable true-to-life scenes, such as an orgy on a jet to Vegas, or a drugged up DiCaprio ‘dry-humping’ a first-class stewardess on a flight to Switzerland.
DiCaprio said he spent much time with Belfort to really get a feel for the character.
‘I wanted a close relationship with him so that I could weave intimate details into the movie,’ he said. ‘[Scorsese’s] approach was essentially to put everything onscreen and see what we responded to. It was old-school, really independent filmmaking on a larger scale.’
DiCaprio’s co-star Jonah Hill – who plays Belfort’s close friend and business partner – said no role that he takes in the future could ever be as outrageous as this one.
‘I can safely say that this is the craziest performance I’ll ever give as far as what the character gets involved with,’ he said.
The actor, who is currently dating Victoria’s Secret model Toni Garrn, was casual in shorts, a T-shirt and Tom’s navy blue espadrilles.
DiCaprio was taking advantage of the city’s new bikeshare programme, which already boasts 70,000 annual members less than three months after its launch.
- Leonardo Dicaprio Held Out For Martin Scorsese For The Wolf Of Wall Street (contactmusic.com)
- Leonardo DiCaprio Covers ‘New York’ Mag’s Fall Preview Issue (justjared.com)
- New Behind-the-Scenes Images from Martin Scorsese’s THE WOLF OF WALL STREET Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill (collider.com)
- New Images from Martin Scorsese’s THE WOLF OF WALL STREET Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Jonah Hill (collider.com)
- Leonardo DiCaprio and Girlfriend Toni Garrn Celebrate Lavishly at U.S. Open–Take a Look! (eonline.com)
- Leonardo DiCaprio, New Images From ‘The Wolf Of Wall Street’ (theartsyfilmblog.com)
- Three Great Movies For St. Patrick’s Day (personalcreations.com)
- He really is Hollywood royalty! Leonardo DiCaprio sups from a golden goblet as he enjoys guys’ day out at US Open (streetfashinog.wordpress.com)
- See Great Behind the Scenes Photos From Martin Scorsese’s ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ (slashfilm.com)
- Behind the Scenes Photos From Martin Scorsese’s ‘The Wolf of Wall Street’ (theartsyfilmblog.com)