Michelle Williams will make her Broadway debut next year in a role best known by Liza Minnelli.
The actress will be portraying famous fishnet-and-bowler hat wearing chanteuse Sally Bowles in Cabaret.
The Roundabout Theatre Company confirmed on Wednesday that the former Dawson’s Creek and Brokeback Mountain star will join Alan Cumming in the revival.
From screen to stage: Michelle Williams has signed up to portray Sally Bowles in Cabaret on Broadway next year
Williams is taking over the role after Emma Stone withdrew due to scheduling conflicts.
Previews will begin on March 21 with an opening set for April 24 at the Roundabout’s Studio 54 theatre on Broadway.
The venue was the last home of the show, which ran for more than 2,000 performances from 1998 to 2004. It won the Tony Award in 1998 for best musical revival.
Big shoes to fill: The role was made famous by Liza Minnelli in the 1972 film of the same name
Cumming, who will be reprising his 1998 turn as Master of Ceremonies, recently ended a one-man Macbeth.
Also reprising their parts from the 1998 production are Sam Mendes and Rob Marshall, who will both direct with Marshall choreographing this time as well.
Set in 1931 Berlin, Cabaret centres on the world of the indulgent Kit Kat Klub as it becomes intertwined with the world outside, which gets more precarious on the brink of World War II.
The songs by John Kander and Fred Ebb include Willkommen and Tomorrow Belongs to Me.
Trading places: Emma Stone was originally supposed to play Sally but withdrew due to scheduling conflicts
Cabaret, both the Broadway show and 1972 film starring Minnelli, Joel Grey and Michael York, are based on the 1951 Broadway play I Am a Camera, which, in turn, was based on Christopher Isherwood’s book Goodbye to Berlin.
In addition to Minnelli, the part of Bowles has been played by Jill Haworth, Gina Gershon, Melina Kanakaredes, Natasha Richardson, Jane Leeves, Lea Thompson, Alyson Reed and Judi Dench, among others.
Williams’ film career took off with 2005’s Brokeback Mountain and she received her first of her three Academy Award nominations for her performance as the rejected wife of former real-life partner Heath Ledger’s cowboy.
She has earned two other Oscar nods, for Blue Valentine and My Week with Marilyn.
Teaming up: Michelle will star opposite Alan Cumming, who is reprising his 1998 turn as Master of Ceremonies
- Oscar Nominee Michelle Williams to Make Broadway Debut as ‘Sally Bowles’ in CABARET? (broadwayworld.com)
- Michelle Williams to hit Broadway in new ‘Cabaret’ (sacbee.com)
- Michelle Williams to hit Broadway in new ‘Cabaret’ (hispanicbusiness.com)
- MEGA STAGE TUBE: Watch Broadway’s New ‘Sally Bowles’ Michelle Williams in Action! (broadwayworld.com)
- Michelle Williams to hit Broadway in new ‘Cabaret’ (jsonline.com)
- Michelle Williams to hit Broadway in new “Cabaret” (cbsnews.com)
- Michelle Williams to hit Broadway in new ‘Cabaret’ (nzherald.co.nz)
- Michelle Williams to hit Broadway in new ‘Cabaret’ (miamiherald.com)
- Michelle Williams to hit Broadway in new ‘Cabaret’ (timesleader.com)
- It’s Official! Michelle Williams to Star Opposite Alan Cumming in CABARET, Opening April 24 at Studio 54 (broadwayworld.com)