She hit the headlines for turning into a head Mean Girl at the MTV Video Music Awards last month.
But friend Ed Sheeran has defended Taylor Swift, saying that her foul-mouthed ‘shut the f***’ jibe was not aimed at her ex-boyfriend Harry Styles, but at Selena Gomez instead.
The I Knew You Were Trouble hitmaker was spotted mouthing the insult while her ex-boyfriend Harry was on stage with his One Direction band mates, but Ed has claimed she was actually swearing at her best friend.
Write caption here
According to Cosmopolitan magazine, at a recent press conference Ed insisted Taylor was directing the jibe at Selena – who was sat next to her – after she expressed doubt at her ability to pick up a prize at the ceremony.
He said: ‘Selena said, “I think Miley’s gonna win [over me]”. And Taylor was like, “Shut the f*** up!” That’s all that was!’
And the 23-year-old star apparently knew her comments would be misinterpreted to be directed at Harry.
Ed added: ‘Taylor was like, “I think I messed up.”‘
Following the incident, Taylor was spotted with Harry and the A Team singer was forced to keep the peace – a role he is said to frequently adopt when he’s around his two friends.
It was previously claimed: ‘Ed made sure to keep them separate.’
According to Us Magazine, things were ‘super awkward’ between the pair, but Ed was called to appease the situation.
An insider also said: ‘Ed made sure to keep them separate.’
It is reported that the neutral role is one he has to adopt quite often when it comes to his mutual friends, who split in January after a three-month romance.
Harry’s band mates have leaped to his defence after Taylor also appeared to dedicate her own Best Female Video trophy – for I Knew You Were Trouble – to her ex-boyfriend, whom she has admitted she wrote the song about.
Liam Payne previously said: ‘I just thought it was a bit not needed. I mean, you just won an award, it’s like, concentrate on yourself … Hashtag get over it.’
- Ed Sheeran keeps the peace with Harry Styles and Taylor Swift (standard.co.uk)
- Ed Sheeran keeps the peace with Harry Styles and Taylor Swift (contactmusic.com)
- Selena Gomez Defends BFF Taylor Swift After One Direction Diss (hollywoodlife.com)
- Taylor Swift and Harry Styles pictured together at VMA – and they’re SMILING (mirror.co.uk)
- Just in case you were curious … Taylor Swift didn’t actually say STFU to ex at VMAs (nashvillegab.com)
- Relive The Many Times Taylor Swift Dissed Her Ex Harry Styles At Last Night’s MTV VMAs (okmagazine.com)
- Taylor Swift Is Caught Mouthing ‘Shut the F**k Up’ as Harry Styles Presents MTV VMA Award (aceshowbiz.com)
- PIC: Ed Sheeran Reunites Taylor Swift & Harry Styles at VMAs After Party (starmagazine.com)
- Taylor Swift & Harry Styles Reunite at VMAs Party! (PHOTO) (justjared.com)
- Taylor Swift & Harry Styles Pose Together After Epic VMAs Diss (hollywoodlife.com)